With activities about work or jobs around the home.
- Have you done your homework?
- I did the report yesterday.
- She is doing the dishes.
When the activity is vague, unknown or unimportant.
- What are you doing?
- Just do something! Don't just stand there!
- I was doing something or rather.
With the form Determiner + -ING
- He'll do all the cleaning.
- Have they done some shopping?
With many fixed expressions
- Do your best
- Do good
- Do the right thing
- Do without
- Do up a house
- Do well for yourself
Compared to Make, Do is often to 'complete', while Make is often to 'create'.
- Teachers make homework for students to do.
- Let's make a list of things to do!
- Please make a decision about what you want to do with your life!